Monday, September 2, 2013

London Times

After years of thinking about how cool it would be to go abroad for school - I AM NOW IN LONDON!



My friend, who is also my roommate, and I have come to this wonderful cosmopolitan city through our school's study abroad program! I've gotta say that the fact that I'm not in New York hasn't really sunk in... Mainly because the language is still English, although the accent adds a new "flavour."

There are a few things that are different - some are just more apparent than others. I've been here for approximately 4-5 days and I can already tell that are going to be some lifestyle changes - healthy, definitely!

London is definitely different, especially with the way the city is designed. I can certainly say that unlike the grid that New York City follows, excluding the West Village, you can easily get lost!!! Always have a map just in case your phone dies or it suddenly doesn't work - don't always trust technology.

The buildings and roads are just beautiful! I haven't experienced the cloudy weather that most media would portray. It's been nice and sunny but at night, the weather turns drastically chilly.

Now, the food -

To be honest, I really didn't expect there to be a big difference in food but I must say - YES! THERE IS!

It would most likely depend on where you go, but since the EU is a supporter of the NON-GMO movement, I feel like some foods taste bland, although that isn't bad. This could be the time where my taste buds adjust to a "healthier" lifestyle. Crisps (chips) are less salty and chocolates seem to be less sweet. Everything just seems healthier - EVEN Burger King. The portions here are smaller so a small soda in America is considered a regular size.

Oh, and for those of you planning to come to London for studying or vacation, BEWARE OF THE SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN DOLLARS TO POUNDS.


No comments:

Post a Comment