Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Dash of Sugar: My Childhood Reminder

I'm not much of a cereal person, and I don't eat it often... In fact, it's quite rare. It's easy to just pass the cereal section without much thought while food shopping but when I saw the box of Rice Krispies my mom bought, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

A few days ago, I posted this picture (above) on to Instagram. It's a bowl of Rice Krispies cereal with some fresh strawberries and blueberries sprinkled with a dash of cane sugar on top. Fairly normal, pretty and tasty looking, but it was so much more than that.


This one bowl reminded me of the mornings when my mom woke me up and helped me get dressed while I was still half asleep. It reminded me of the times when I fell asleep at the table while eating my breakfast, the days I wore a uniform to grade school, my grandpa driving my brother and I to and from school everyday, and the distaste I had for mornings because I hadn't slept enough.

With this bowl of cereal, I was eating my way back to childhood.

Although it has a special place in my heart now, Rice Krispies cereal wasn't my favorite back then (I was more of a Corn Pops & Apple Jacks kind of girl). Occasionally, my mom would whip up this simple, fruitful bowl of cereal that helped me wake up and start my day. The dash of sugar was the best part. It made the bowl all the more special and my taste buds extra happy. When I was almost done, gulping down the milk at bottom of the bowl with the remnants of the sugar was the best way to end breakfast.

I had another bowl today, with some bananas this time, and it was spectacular. Is there a particular breakfast or cereal that conjures up your childhood? Let me know in the comments, down below! I'd love to know! :) 




















Milk, Sliced Strawberries, Whole Blueberries and a Sliced Banana... and don't forget that Dash of Sugar on top!





























The Concoction to Memory Lane... Added the Rice Krispies last since it "Snaps, Crackles, and Pops" quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment