Monday, October 13, 2014

Cafe Boulud - Restaurant Week (Aug 2014) Review

Cafe Boulud, located in the Upper East Side, is one of the Michelin starred restaurants owned by the world renowned Chef, Daniel Boulud.

I came here with my boyfriend for Restaurant Week back in August 2014 and I can't tell you how much I looked forward to the whole experience. I expected to have a great time and enjoy every dish because of how much my boyfriend raved about the place, but surprisingly, I wasn't that crazy about it. It was a Cosine Wave.

You can view their current menu here: http://www.cafeboulud.com/nyc/menu

I sadly don't have a picture of the restaurant week menu but these are the dishes that I had selected.

For the appetizer, I decided to go with the: Shrimp Ceviche with a Mango Salsa, Guacamole, and a Plantain Chip. The tender, sweet shrimp was just beyond words and the salsa and guac really added a nice refreshing yet rich flavor. I could have eaten SO MANY PLATES of these because there was a party in my mouth! I wish I could have ordered more because my entree failed to impress me.



For my entree, I had the Nine Herb Ravioli. I don't think the foam was necessary since it didn't enhance anything. The presentation was interesting. It just looked like the raviolis were taking a bubble bath. It was really salty. I like salt, but damn... maybe it was an off-day or something for this one... The taste was all over the place and it just wasn't working out. I stopped eating after a like one or two bites because I was really disappointed with this one. If this dish was being sold here as a non-restaurant week meal, I would definitely say to opt for something else.


The dessert didn't come up to par either. It was a fruity dessert (forget what it was called) with an extremely tart taste that I surprisingly didn't enjoy. Visually, it was appealing (as you can see for yourself), but after taking a bite, each flavor seemed to be independent and nothing came together. It just didn't make my taste buds overwhelmed with joy.

My boyfriend on the other hand seemed to like all of his dishes which were:

Cucumber Gazpacho - I had a taste of this cold soup and it was definitely refreshing but I was really glad I got the Shrimp Ceviche instead (because that was the total bomb diggity).


Steak with a Potato Mille Feuille - I would have preferred this to the Ravioli I ordered, but I've gotta say... Nothing was super special about this either other than the Potato Mille Feuille.

Chocolate dessert - I don't remember what it was called but it wasn't bad, but not that mesmerizing either.


A lasting impression was from the final piece to this lunch, the complimentary Madeleine's. These rich, decadent beauties were placed so lovingly in a basket, sprinkled with powdered sugar. It was a warm basket filled with love and it made my heart melt. Without these beautiful, delicate jewels, I think my experience here would have been less than extraordinary.

I would like to come back and give it another try since this is one of my boyfriend's favorite restaurants and I didn't leave completely disappointment, but from this experience I'm not sure I would recommend this restaurant at a heartbeat, but as always, everyone's time is different. I sincerely hope though, you meet these beautiful cookies that melt your heart. :)

Check out my instagram: @wondersforthesoul
instagram.com/wondersforthesoul

No comments:

Post a Comment