Sunday, November 8, 2015

Smoked Salmon Benedict Spaghetti + Recipe



Hello my fellow Brunchers!

I am here to share with you all the fantastic news of the Smoked Salmon Benedict Spaghetti. I was totally feeling like making a Smoked Salmon Benedict recently but after making the hollaindaise sauce and poaching the eggs, I realized I didn't have any english muffins or toast... just no bread at all (which was a shocker for a bread lover like me). So then I digged through the refrigerator to find some leftover spaghetti noodles that my lovely mother had cooked previously. I stared at it for a little while and decided why the heck not? It became my substitute and I dumped everything together. THAT, my friends, was the best freaking decision ever. I mean, Carbonara works beautifully on its own, but this random ass decision (which can be considered Carbonara's cousin) totally does too.



All I can say is that this is one of those dishes that you can't eat everyday but once in a while, it'll be great for the soul. :)



So, try it out!

Cook your spaghetti noodles, following the directions on the box. Then, add your poached eggs, smoked salmon and hollaindaise sauce and just mix the shit out of it!

Some tips for poaching eggs:
Honestly, I'm not a master poacher, but I'm trying and practicing. If you go on Youtube, there are a bunch of pros that teach you, but some tips I found helpful for when I poach eggs are:

- adding vinegar AND salt (but it stinks up your kitchen like hell, and if you have a small apartment, its gonna smell like vinegar all over for a little bit)
- before you crack your eggs into the water, make a whirlpool in the middle. *Fresher the eggs, the easier the eggs coagulate!*
- keep the temp low - don't let it boil... letting the eggs sit still in simmering water seems to help
- use ramekins - it keeps it in place and it might be easier to put in and out.
- YOU DO YOU; whatever works for you after practice, stick with it. Everyone's cooking skills/styles are different!

If all else fails, just parboil your eggs for this! You could probably even add a fried egg to this and it'll be a bomb ass substitute! 

How I make Hollaindaise sauce:
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 4 Tbls Butter
- 1 Tbls Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt & Cayenne Pepper

Since I don't have a double boiler, I add some water to a pot then top it off with a bowl (I use Pyrex), just to make sure the water isn't touching the bowl. Take the bowl off, and let the water boil.

Then, I take 2 eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. I add the yolks to the my Pyrex bowl and put the whites in a separate container - Don't throw it out! You can use them to make meringues or a white omelette (just two of the many options out there). Then, I whip the yolks until they get a bit foamy and I add the tablespoon of lemon juice. I continue to whip it until it has doubled in volume. If the water has started boiling, reduce the heat to low.

I take 4 tablespoons of butter and I microwave it for about 20 seconds - until it melts. Once the butter has melted, place the bowl with the egg yolks on top of the pot and whisk. The water should be simmering, and it should not touch the bowl! Slowly add the melted butter while continuing to whisk the egg yolks. Once the egg yolks become ribbony, thick and doubled in volume you're done. At this point, add a dash of Salt and Cayenne pepper to taste!

To make sure you're complete, take a spoon and dip it in your sauce. Then, run your finger across the back of it and if the egg yolk stays separated without it dripping down, your Hollaindaise sauce is complete!

Don't worry if your sauce becomes too thick, just add some warm water and whisk - it'll be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment